I write this blog to highlight that whatever happens next week with the referendum vote, we will still need to find better ways to support our ageing population.
Here’s a reminder [with actual facts and no scare tactics] of the issues facing us as we try to ensure our golden generation live the happier, healthier lives they deserve.
- Our population is ageing – 38% increase in over 50’s by 2019
- Our “golden generation” is suffering from increasingly complex health issues.
- The top 5 issues are Arthritis, Heart Attack, Stroke, Dementia & Diabetes
- One in five people will develop dementia
- 40% increase in carer’s aged 80+
- 3.8 million living alone – loneliness increases the risk of depression
- £117bn of unpaid care provided every year
- 25% of care homes forecast to close within two years
- Local Authority budgets cut by 43%
- NHS already facing a £30bn funding deficit
- The average cost of care for a person living with dementia is £30k per year
A 2% reduction in NHS funding as a result of Brexit, forecast by the chancellor today is a startling prediction, especially as this budget was supposed to be ring-fenced. Why didn’t the “corporate world” get similar bad news with corporation tax etc…??
However, with every problem comes opportunities.
Person-centred care services, provided by micro enterprises, developed by social entrepreneurs, delivered in co-operation with health & care stakeholders, can play a huge part in ensuring we give our golden generation the quality of life they richly deserve.
A very famous golfer, Sam Snead, once said “The biggest hazard we face in life is fear”.
Please don’t be fearful!! Trust your instincts!!
Whatever happens with the vote next week, our ageing population still needs your love, care and support.
Here’s two final facts amongst the myriad of “predictions”
- The world will not stop turning
- We will continue to share this amazing planet together
My committment and passion to helping our golden generation live happier, healthier lives, whether we are “in or out” will continue.
So proud to be playing a part. x